Conference and Preparatory meetings “The EU as a Peacemaker”
- € 75.000 - € 100.000
- Country: Belgium, France, Germany
The European Parliament adopted a pilot project tasking the European External Action Service (EEAS) to analyse and examine options including a cost and benefit analysis for efficiently serving the needs of the EU in peace mediation and the creation of a ‘European Institute of Peace’.
The EEAS received 200.000 EUR to deliver a pilot project and commissioned an independent consultancy study entitled ‘European Institute of Peace: costs, benefits and options’ which was submitted on 15 October 2012. The balance of the funding remaining after the study commissioning was to be used for a conference and several preparatory events on enhancing EU mediation capacity and discussing the findings of the study.
The objective of this assignment was to assist with the logistic preparations and organisation of a one day conference for approximately 200 participants in Brussels and three to five preparatory meetings in EU Member States. At an early stage the steering committee identified the need of subcontracting a partner who would deal with the conceptualisation and content delivery of both the preparatory meetings and the workshop. T&T Executive has subsequently made contact and consulted with Think Tanks based in Europe and the European Policy Centre was identified by the steering committee as a preferred partner. T&T Executive has subcontracted after the Contracting Authority’s permission the European Policy Centre (EPC).
The steering committee of this project in consultation with T&T Executive and the European Policy Centre has decided that 3 preparatory events would be organised as well as a main conference to take place in Brussels. The location of the 3 preparatory events was decided by the steering committee at a later stage. The cities identified together with conference venues for the entire project were:
- Paris, conference venue Assemble Nationale, date 8th April 2013
- Berlin, conference venue Deutscher Bundestag, date 22nd April 2013
- Sofia, conference venue Grand Hotel Sofia, date 17th May 2013
- It was also decided that the main conference was to take place in Brussels and indeed the conference was hosted at one of the EU Parliament buildings.
Brussels, conference venue European Parliament, date 28th May 2013
Due to the limited budget available for the delivery of this project the budget was regularly reviewed at steering committee conference calls and funds moved from budget lines to accommodate the project’s needs as it developed. The contracting authority has always been aware of the changes and has requested and authorised the moving of funds at cases. A full picture is in the analysis of our financial report.
Tasks organized by T&T Executive SA included the following:
- Travel Arrangements
- Providing name badges
- Facilitating moderators and speakers payments via the EPC
- Providing local assistance in the form of local stewards
- Interpretation services
- Conference room reservations
- Registration services / see under C3
- Rental of appropriate conference equipment
- Provide catering services
- Provide printings required
- Provide on contact person for administrative matters and one contact
- Event Coordinator for all events